Monday, December 21, 2009

PC01: Why I Watch Glee

Today, I do want to talk about pop culture. This afternoon, I get to start reading Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman, one of my five favorite cultural commentators. I've wanted to hang out with Klosterman since I was 18 years old. When it comes to the American pop cultural scene, he's biting, brilliant, hilarious, and somehow endearingly pretentious, an impossible combination made possible. So, since I get to consume some critique, I thought I'd provide some of my own.

I believe the past decade has been great for television. Right now, there's the largest number of current-running TV shows I've ever watched at one time. That list includes How I Met Your Mother, what I consider the best comedy on TV right now; Modern Family and Community, two great new series coming into their own; 30 Rock and The Office, standing favorites; Lost, one of the best serial dramas TV has ever seen; and ... Glee.

The inclusion of Glee on this list feels strange, yet somehow appropriate. Most of what I watch is, obviously, comedy, with the single exception of Lost. And while Glee touts itself as comedy, and it is a legitimately funny show, it falls into a category no other series does: serial musical.

Glee demands more out of its actors in terms of musical and dance performance than what you'd actually call acting. It's telling that, whenever there is a dramatic moment, viewers exclaim to each other, "He actually got to act!" The plots are fairly rote, sometimes frustratingly so. The chemistry among many characters is forced at best (with the exception of the adult leads), and when comedy is used, it feels like a crutch, stilted and disingenuous.

But there is charm here. The drama is focused on the painfulness of being uncool in high school. And these kids, despite their good looks and sometimes sparkling personalities, are certainly not cool. But you're asked to root for them, if not out of sympathy, than out of admiration for their talent and devotion to this craft of show choir. That's a theme the writers feel the need to keep coming back to: whether or not these kids should remain in glee club. Football player Finn (Cory Monteith) has quit the club at least twice, but he always comes back for the acceptance and self-expression.

Although the club is always successful, ultimately winning sectionals despite strife and obstacles, etc., etc., the kids aren't. And that's what keeps me coming back: seeing that the characters aren't going to suddenly become popular, no matter how well they do. That's reality in a high school venue. And even if nothing else is realistic (Adultery is encouraged! The stuttering girl is faking it! Every single person sings beautifully, even the football coach and the guidance counselor!), at least we have that.

Should you watch Glee? If you're Scott, then no. But if you want to hear some great musical numbers, giggle, and indulge in something that isn't necessarily Emmy-caliber but still wholly entertaining, then yes, absolutely.

1 comment: