Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sunburn & Ass

I did a Panera run today, meaning I sat outside Panera and read Nick Hornby's Shakespeare Wrote for Money while eating lunch and sipping lemonade for about 30 minutes, maybe more, maybe less. I'm fairly certain my right arm got sunburned, but I'm not disappointed about this. It's my own fault, I accept the consequences, and honestly, my body seems to deserve a bit of sun after all this pesky winter.

I'm going to see Kick-Ass tomorrow with a couple friends of mine. I've been looking forward to it all week. The film looks to live up to its title and then some. It will feel about as strange asking for a ticket to Kick-Ass as it did The 40-Year-Old Virgin about four years ago. But I don't think it should.

As a Christian who has a fairly thorough understanding of profanity, I would like to express the opinion that I, in no way, find the word "ass" offensive. I think it should drop off the swear list immediately. Let's think about this: it's commonly used as a synonym for "butt." It's not crude like "f**k" or insulting like "b***h." It's simply a different noun, completely innocuous. Even when added to a word like "big," "bad," or in this case, "kick" it's no more offensive. I won't be embarrassed to announce that I'd like my over-priced ticket to Kick-Ass tomorrow evening, and you shouldn't be, either.

That said, Midna sat, transfixed, in front of the TV this past Tuesday during Lost. She didn't stick around for long, but you could tell she was totally into the Hurley subplot.

No comments:

Post a Comment