Sunday, April 11, 2010

Spring & Things

Now, yesterday, Scott and I were at the park, where we saw some extremely active ducks. Some sort of brawl was happening among two males and a female; it seemed that one or both of the males wanted to mate with the female, but she was having none of it. It was a bit car crash-like, in that it was at least a little painful to watch (I mean, she was getting brutalized!), but we couldn't look away. We also saw a muskrat and a nesting duck, and I renewed my title as Pooh sticks champion. Pooh sticks is a game in which you stand on a bridge over flowing water, drop a stick, and look to the other side of the bridge to see whose floats to the other side first. And I know how to pick 'em, stick wise.

The last couple weeks have been good, sometimes quite, even. I saw a good friend of mien for the first time since I don't know when, last summer, probably. Emily and I were on the same interim trip to the United Kingdom, and before that, we'd had a class together. Naturally, we only got to know each other on the trip. She, another traveler named Michelle, and I spent a great deal of time there together, but life has largely prevented us from seeing each other again. Today, Emily and I walked about her side of campus in the gorgeous beyond gorgeous March weather, talking about futures and childhood and quirks among the Calvin staff. The visit made my good mood better. I can't think of a time visiting an old friend didn't do that.

I've almost earned all the money I wanted to set aside for DragonCon, and even without full time work. I'm quite pleased about it, especially since it was just announced that one of my favorite Battlestar Galactica cast members (Aaron "Chief Tyrol" Douglas, for those keeping score at home) will be there. Oh, to be an unapologetic geek.

Ending blog entries is always perplexing for me. From now on, I'm going to end with a mini-anecote about Midna.

There's a certain kind of cat toy, a plastic ring with a ball inside it and slats in the ring so the cat can bat it around. Mid has one, and if we hide it for a couple weeks, then give it back, she goes crazy. One day, though, she had a different plan. The ring was in the middle of the room, on the floor. With purpose, Midna strutted over to the ring, struck the ball as hard as possible, and walked away.

All in a day's work, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment